Greying of Hair: What, Why & How To Reverse Premature Greying?
Spotting a strand of grey hair echoes numerous emotions for each and every one. While it is a great reminder of the passage of time, it can also be an intimidating sight for some, especially if you’re in your twenty-something.
Grey hair is similar to laugh lines, a totem of a life well-lived. But, many of you can't help but wonder the reason for grey hair and how to stop premature greying. So, if you’ve flung yourself into the well of sorrow, then it’s time to bounce back to reality. Here's our comprehensive guide on everything you need to know about your salt-and-pepper strands.
What Causes Grey Hair?
Here are some of the top causes of grey hair:
- Vitamin deficiency: The lack of vitamins such as vitamin D, B, E, and biotin is one of the main reasons for premature grey hair. The thing is vitamin deficiencies affect pigmentation but can be improved by using vitamin supplements. It not only provides you energy, but also promotes healthy hair growth and hair colour. You can also use shampoos and masks that are enriched with essential vitamins. You can use the Keracare Repair Shampoo and Keracare Repair Mask as it contains Vitamin E that improves hair and scalp health.
- Stress: Stress is another major cause of greying of hair. It causes hormonal imbalance in your body which leads to a laundry list of problems such as sleeping issues, anxiety, skin disorders, high blood pressure, and worse, premature greying.
- Oxidative stress: Oxidative stress is another major reason behind the premature greying of hair. It usually happens when there’s an imbalance between the antioxidants and free radicals. When antioxidants are not sufficient to fight the effects of free radicals, it leads to several health problems, including ageing. Moreover, high oxidation level causes a condition known as vitiligo, which kills your melanin cells and results in premature greying of hair.
- Genetics: It is most likely that you’ll have white hair at an early age if your grandparents or parents had premature grey hair.
- Diet: Wondering how your diet is responsible for premature grey hair causes? Here’s how - an improper diet can accelerate greying of hair. Consuming processed or fried foods, aerated drinks, or taking excess sugar and salt increase the risk of free radical production in your body that can result in premature greying of hair.
- Smoking: The many ill effects of smoking not only pertains to your heart or lung malfunctions, but also puts your tender locks at high risk. Smoking constricts the blood vessels and reduces the blood flow to your hair follicles, thus leading to excessive hair loss. Further, the harmful toxins in your cigarette smoke affect the hair follicles, causing premature greying.
- Chemical Hair Products: Many hair care products such as your conditioners and shampoos contain harmful chemicals that decrease the melanin content and trigger premature hair greying. Additionally, if you like using hair dyes then pay attention to its ingredients. Many hair dyes contain bleaching agents and hydrogen peroxide that can leave your strands white when used for extensive periods.
How To Prevent Premature Greying Of Hair?
If ageing or genetics are the reasons for premature grey hair, then there’s nothing to reverse the process. However, if the primary causes of grey hair are due to your diet and vitamin deficiencies, then a few tweaks can correct the problem and stop it from worsening.
- Load up on antioxidants: Tweak your diet by incorporating a lot of antioxidant-rich foods like fish green tea, olive oil, and leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. These foods reduce oxidative stress and prevent premature greying of hair.
- Address your deficiencies: Looking for an easy solution on how to stop grey hair at an early age? Address your deficiency of vitamins. Eating foods rich in vitamin B-12 like seafood, meats, and eggs and vitamin D like salmon, cheese, and milk will help combat premature greying of hair and also correct other deficiencies.
- Avoid stress: Regular practice of yoga and meditation will purge your mind of the daily lifestyle stress, and thus reduce grey hair.
- Break-up with cigarettes: Smoking leads to many ill effects on your body and contributes to early greying of hair. Chained smokers have a higher chance of pigment loss which ultimately results in loss of hair and hair colour.
- Protect your hair from the sun: Sun’s harmful UV rays can lead to oxidative stress in your body and result in premature greying of hair. Therefore, guard your dear tresses with a scarf or hat while you are out in the sun. You can also rely on haircare products that are enriched with UV protect ingredients such as the Protect Shine Serum and De-Frizz Smooth Leave-In Cream.
- Ditch chemical-stuffed hair products: Use natural or non-toxic hair care products as much as possible. Strong shampoos can impair your hair health and result in hair loss and pigmentation. Thus, stick to using chemical-free shampoos for the sake of your beautiful locks and curb greying of hair once and for all. You can use Quinoa Smooth Shampoo and Quinoa Smooth Mask or Avocado Nourish Shampoo and Avocado Nourish Mask from the house of Godrej Professional.
Now that you are aware of how to avoid premature greying of hair, ensure to make the most of it to have healthy, shiny, and flawless locks. You must always exercise caution while choosing your haircare products, as they play a crucial role in defining your hair health. Godrej Professional brings to you a wide range of exclusive haircare and hair-styling products that can level up your hair game easily. Visit Godrej Professional e-store and check out our products now.